Environmental management

We place great value on preserving the natural environment wherever we operate. Our risk-based approach to minimising potential adverse impact is central to all Genel decision making. It ensures we allocate effort and investment where it’s needed most.

Environment management at work

We’re particularly focused on managing waste, reducing resource and water use, preventing pollution, and protecting biodiversity.

  • We monitor any impact on local communities and respond promptly, as our Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) lays out.
  • We can and do adapt operations quickly to manage the local environment.
Genel structure

Continuous improvement in waste management

Genel is vigilant about continuous improvement and have built a reputation for excellence in waste management. For example, in 2021, KRI’s Sarta oil field generated zero waste for landfill and just over 8% for incineration, leaving 92% of waste for recycling.

We have a rigorous waste segregation programme in place at all our operations. For example, at Sarta and Qara Dagh the sites generated a combined total of 48,927m3 of waste in 2021, of which only 2,461m3 was general waste.

Genel workers shaking hands

Local enterprise

We have the opportunity to grow local partnerships through management and issue contracts for removal, recycling and treatment to local enterprises. Genel works with contractors to share effective and safe best practices in remote areas, strengthening regional waste infrastructure.

Genel mountains

Air quality monitoring

Genel’s efforts to mitigate any adverse impacts from operations are illustrated at the Sarta site and, in 2021, there were ‘zero exceedances of 2020 KRI air quality regulations’.

Three air quality monitoring units within the Sarta field form an ongoing programme to understand local air conditions as operations evolve, ensuring we protect the health of neighbouring communities.

Genel ESHIA process machines

The ESHIA process

The Environmental Social Health Impact Assessment (ESHIA) process is a key planning tool at Genel. It precedes all development activities and helps cohesive management of the natural and built environment. An ESHIA typically:

  • Gives local regulators a ready opportunity for discussion before project approvals
  • Spurs an Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) to monitor and respond to potential environmental, social and human rights impacts and grievances that arise with local communities.
  • Supports the International Finance Corporation process we follow to meet demands from host governments and communities and preserve the integrity of environments and societies.
Genel thistle in grass

Biodiversity and land management

Genel works hard to protect nature through the appropriate planning, design, and operation of our assets. Preserving biodiversity is the highest priority, and we consult with partners to protect flora and fauna close to our assets as sites evolve through pre-construction, construction, operational, and decommissioning phases.

The ESHIA process includes an assessment of biodiversity impact and potential measures for sustainable development. While Genel’s formal mechanism for managing biodiversity impact is our Biodiversity Management Standard – a framework for managing project risk and impact which identifies management actions.